Thursday, January 5, 2012

Brrr...it's Chilly Outside

"Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. You live in Florida," you say.
Well listen, for real, it was in the low 20's Tuesday night and mid to low 30's last night. If we'd had any kind of rain Tuesday night we would have had SNOW! Wild. And....SUPER COLD. Ha!

Staying true to myself, this year I bit off more than I could chew this Christmas. And.....well, it was TOTALLY worth the end result!

In September I had this idea that I would make quilts for both moms and both sister-in-laws.  I was going to make them by hand. Had I ever sewn a quilt???? Um, nope!

So I gathered all my books which talked about quilting and scoured the blogs I follow for tips. I ordered all the fabric for each quilt and purchased all the materials.

Insert...overwhelmed.

Then I decided to make just the tops and have someone else quilt. P.S. By the time it's late October all the quilters are jammed packed with quilts to do. I was back to doing them myself.

My first quilt was Becca's. I love the fabric! Becca and I are very into Anthropologie and this fabric was just the right style! This was really a tough project for me. The binding wasn't too bad until I got to the corners...OYE VEY!

You can't completely tell, but the corners were pretty messy, but being my first quilt ever...I was really excited. I couldn't wait till Christmas to give this her so I cheated. Which was perfect because she traveled to DC and Denver with it. Makes my heart melt that she loves it so much.

Next was Heidi's quilt. I picked bright and vibrant colored fabric because if you know Heidi, she loves bright colors and is incredibly adventurous. I quickly got the top completed but didn't bind or quilt till week before Christmas.
Note to Self: don't try to make 3 quilts the week before Christmas...you might get stressed. HA!
Her quilt turned out so pretty. Her corners were a little better but still had a long way to go. I actually did wait till Christmas to give it to her. She loves it. It's come in pretty handy with the weather we've been having.
Next up was Mom Reiner's. Tim helped me pick out her fabric. I feel like if you knew each of these wonderful women and you saw each quilt, not knowing who was getting which one, you would be able to match the quilt based off the fabric. Love that!
This quilt is beautiful! I loved the backing on this one too.

I finally got my perfect mittered corner!!! Only took 3 quilts to get there, but I got there!!!

Each quilt takes roughly 16-18 hours based on mistakes and squaring off things etc. From start to finish they take a lot of love and time.
Thursday before Christmas I started mom's. OYE VEY!!! The pressure was on. When I first picked out these fabrics and received them I was nervous. I loved the colors because they are so mom (and I love them too), but was nervous they wouldn't mesh for a quilt.
 I love how her quilt turned out!!! I had one extra fabric style so her quilt was slightly larger than the others. They are each throw size. Perfect for snuggling on the couch, reading a book or catching a flight to D.C.!
The backing fabric is really cool too on mom's. It has these lighter brown linen looking brush strokes. Mom loved her quilt. She's taken it everywhere. I may have even received a "few" texts telling me all about it. HA!
Here's mom all snuggled in opening some Christmas bling from dad with Grandma looking over. So cute!

I have yet to get a picture with all of them together with their quilts, but it's on my radar. I loved making each of these quilts. Each one is so special and unique. I think I should plan my time a little better next time I take something like this on, but wow...loved giving these gifts.

Speaking of Sewing...Santa brought me something very special from the hubs this year...
A serger!!!
Don't judge our dining room table...Christmas quilting was ALL UP on that table!!! It's clean now....promise!

xoxo
Hope you all had a very Merry Christmas!
fler

No comments:

Post a Comment